I am a fish fan. My husband isn’t. This is a point of contention for me, but you can’t make someone like a food, or can you? David actually enjoys this Mahi Mahi recipe. He has even been packing in his lunch box as a mason jar salad (just like me). I wanted to share this super simple recipe with you because it is a weekly staple in our house now. I make it up on Sundays and eat it for lunch all week, and if there is any left over, I have it for tacos one night during the week. AHHmazing. (see video at the bottom of the page)
1lb. wild caught mahi mahi (cubed into 1/2-inch squares)
1 cup cooked black or pinto Beans
1/2 can tomato paste (or sub 1 cup chopped tomatoes)
1/2 white onion (chopped)
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 cup water
*optional additions: cilantro, lime, and bell pepper
3 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp: salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, and crushed red pepper flakes
1. Heat oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, cook onions one minute, then add the mahi mahi
2. While mahi mahi is cooking, combine in a separate bowl the seasonings, tomato paste, and water, and whisk until combined
3. Once mahi mahi is cooked all the way through, add the beans, stirring, and then add your seasoning mixture to the skillet, stirring to keep it from sticking
4. Bring to a boil, then place on simmer until it reaches desired consistency (about ten minutes for me). Make sure you stir it often.
5. If you are going to add bell pepper, add it with the onions, if you are going to add lime, add it in when the seasonings mixture, and if you are going to add cilantro, add it in the last ten minutes.
Replace beans with bell pepper and tomato paste with 2 chopped tomatoes
Replace Mahi Mahi with additional beans or Tofu
Mason Jar Salad Recipe:
Get five mason jars out, and scoop the chili, evenly divided, into each jar.
Add a scoop of cottage cheese (optional)
Add chopped bell pepper
Add chopped green onions
Finish with chopped red cabbage, OR chopped romaine hearts *NOTE the cabbage will last longer and can withstand better than the romaine.
For the tacos:
Use same ingredients that are in the salad above, only layer in a taco shell or burrito instead.